lunedì 10 settembre 2007

La mia prima settimana

Well, I did it. My first week as a teacher is over and I am proud of myself because I didn't get sickening nervous. Sometimes when I was on my way to a job interview I'd get so nervous and anxious I felt like throwing up. But I did good this time. The trials are over and all I have to do now is do my best in class.

The kids in German class are still a bit impatient and talk to much but we're getting there. The only problem they have is that sometimes they don't get what I explain the first time and that gets them all upset and panicked. I tell them to calm down, I will explain at least three times (I try to speak only German) and if there's still someone who hasn't got it, I ask one of them to explain in Italian. But basically they're good kids and I enjoy teaching them.

The first and the third class on the other hand are much easier to teach but the first class is definitely too quiet. The third class, however, is fun to teach, because they understand a lot and they are also a bit more creative. There are also two or three girls who are very ambitious. And then I have a student from town coming in who is almost as old as me and very sweet and friendly.

Well, I have been reflecting for some time and these are my goals for the next two weeks:

- improve discipline in German class
- do things even more calmly
- relax, you're doing fine
- make first class talk more
- reread all schedules of the previous teachers
- learn all names
- reserve more time for explaining tasks and don't get upset if they don't understand
- in hallway ask one or two of them how they are doing (every day)
- relax, listen to a CD
- stop thinking of school when you're trying to sleep

The other thing is that I can't get rid of the feeling that this is too easy. There's got to be a problem coming up or something. It is not a very good feeling and I hope I'm only imagining things. Maybe I'm only still a bit scared of it all?

Nessun commento: