lunedì 4 dicembre 2006

Che cosa hai fatto quest'anno

I just listened to "So this is Christmas" trying to find another Italian Christmas song. If your remember it goes on "and what have you done?" I spontaneously said, "I have learned a new language." And suddenly I felt so happy that I had the courage to really go ahead and do this. And it is true, I have only now begun to read in Italian and finally understand enough to also watch TV in Italian. Che belloooooo!!! Three months and I'm already able to do this!! I do absolute-ssimissimo enjoy this moment.

I also volunteered at unihockey today selling beverages. We (Ticino) lost the game, however, it was all the fault of the Svizzera German referee who gave a red card to one of our players. Everybody was really upset. Hands were flying, faces red, voices elevated, eyes flashing, swear words everywhere. Oh, how I liked that!! Finally there I was with other people who get really upset... yes, it is true, in Germany I have sometimes felt that people didn't have feelings or didn't express them and then in the US everything seemed so artificial because everybody was always happy, fine, and everything was fun as if there weren't negative emotions, too. Daiiiiii! But Italian is a linguage that was quasi made to express emotions, l'amore but also anger and sadness. And that's what I like and what makes me feel so nooooooooormal here. But back to the linguage.

Do you remember how you felt when you were able to read your very first book? I feel just like that. I am halfway through my first Italian book and when I went to read Nico's blog today I remembered when I was at my desk in Muenster and first went to his website the Italian was all Greek to me. But I'm getting it!!! In città I listen to other people talk and I know what they are saying to each other!! Don't laugh, you never know how much it matters unless you can't do it any more. But here I am once again at the door with the key in my hand realizing it fits and behind the door is all the beauty and magic of another culture. And I have to say this is all I wanted for Christmas this year...

Nessun commento: