martedì 4 marzo 2008

Il favonio

Il favonio or Föhn is a wind in the alps that blows air from one side of the mountains down into the valley of the other side. Since we're on the Southern side and the wind originates almost always on the Northern side we get a lot of favonio.


So even in the midst of winter we can get a day that is as warm as in summer. For the last three days it has been extremely warm and windy. A lot of people do get a headache from the sudden warm weather but I usually don't. I am quite fascinated by this phenomenon.

When we get the favonio the wind blows also into the snow on top of the mountains which makes them appear as if there was white smoke.

Today the favonio has died down and we only got regular wind which is quite cool. I think I am fascinated by wind because I was born in October, the windy season in Germany. Here at Bellinzona it can get windy at all times and during all seasons. But I also like the wind of Bellinzona because it clears the air and allows for fantastic blue skies...

Nessun commento: